Today I am thankful for the health of my children.
I made this tasty apple cake over the weekend….the recipe is so simple, I tweaked it a tad and will post the adjustments after the recipe link.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away….do you suppose that includes apple in cake?? HA!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, Sift together flour, sugar, salt and soda. Make a well in the center and add oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well (batter will be thick). Fold in chopped apples and nuts. Spread into a 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Glaze while still hot.
- To make the glaze: In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over cake while still hot.